Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Hot Fun, Summer in the City....

Wow, what a weekend it was.... where to begin? There was a lot of great stuff to do over the last few days. Which brings me to an important point - I am sick of any person who says that St. Louis is boring. It's not Chicago, it's not New York, but it sure as hell ain't Festus either. St. Louis is NOT boring, YOU are boring... If you can't get your Busch-beer filled ass off the couch and find something to do then that's your problem. Hell, usually there is so much going on that I am running at a thousand miles an hour to keep up. But I digress....

Okay, so Friday I am about to get off work when Uber-Preggers Krystal calls me. She informs me that a group of her and Brandon's family are going to Crown Candy that evening and wanted to know if Jen and I would like to join them. Jen had never been there and I was looking forward to introducing her to another "new" slice of St. Louis. We got there a little early, and I kinda felt like a jerk telling the waiter that I had a party of ten more people coming... since Crown is all booths they can't really push tables together, but the guy was real cool and put water glasses on the booths to hold them for us. K & B's gang were a little late, but I think a party of twelve made up for it. It was Krystal and Brandon, Jen and I, Brandon's parents, Krystal's parents, Krystal's two sisters, and her niece and nephew. We all had a great time talking and eating, although I ate so much that I couldn't get a malt. My own damned fault. Krystal was in good spirits for someone in abject misery. Her ankles were... well, let's just say they were larger than normal.

Saturday started out pretty pedestrian for me. I went to Hundred Dollar Depot and bought some new door locks. I think the maintenance man has been going in my apartment to use the bathroom, and he has left the door unlocked before. I installed the locks and then went to get Jen. One of her friends was having a wedding party/shower/something in Maryville. We got there and the place was soon filled with cowboy hats and Texas flags. Turns out her friends is marrying a Texan... I was polite but bored, and all too happy to leave. Not because of the Texas thing, I actually used to live in Texas. It was more due to the whole not knowing anyone thing. Later on we met up with her cousin Melissa at Trueman's Place.

While we were there some underage girls came in and ran to the bathroom. One was wearing a skirt that was about two inches long (three max). They go straight to the bathroom, and stayed there for about half an hour. Melissa got up to use the bathroom and when she got back she told us that the girls were in a stall together, one sitting and one standing... the sitting one kept asking how many people were in the bathroom, and the other kept saying four (there were three). As Melissa was walking out one said, "Okay, your turn." Then about ten minutes later they walked out all casual and said, "So, do you want to eat here?" Like they had been in there discussing whether or not to eat crappy bar food. It was funny, in that "future-bar slut" sorta way.

Then Sunday came - TOUR DE FAT!!! Thank you New Belgium for such a great event. This was my fourth year going, and it was the best one yet. Jen, Melissa and I got there around two. I brought my pimp-assed Pee-Wee bike with me and got many rave reviews. We sat out in the sun and drank a lot of Sunshine Wheat and Loft beers... I drank Loft mostly because I was given a free kite and figured that if I drank Loft then perhaps I could get some freaking wind. I ended up riding my bike with the kite behind me, which worked until it hit a tree. Oh well. I also didn't win the Prize bike, but what was worse is that the loser who DID win said he was going to sell it on eBay. Ugh. So after buying merchandise, drinking beer, getting free stuff (seventy-one lip balms, a kite, and about fifteen tire patch kits), listening to music, and watching some great performances, we all had quite a good summer buzz on. We went to Talayna's by the park for some post-beer food and then headed home. I fell asleep on Jen's lap during Family Guy, which kinda sucked, but it was all worth it in the end...

Then came Monday. We went to Shakespeare in the Park with Rob, Misty, and about ten others. There were four guys, three girls, two babies, and one toddler. We drank wine, ate a lot of tofu-spring rolls that Misty Dawn made, and enjoyed a great show. I think it was better than last year, though I fell asleep during the second act laying between Jen and Bella, Rob and Misty's baby girl. It was great seeing Rob and Misty again - they are an awesome couple and two really cool people. The weather was perfect, and the smell of summer was in the air.

And the Cardinals beat the Red Sox! About damn time.......



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home